| Determining the circadian analysis of melatonin can be a critical
tool for accurately diagnosing endocrine dysfunctions, effectively
treating mood and sleep disorders, and revealing contributing factors
in the pathology of various diseases. It can also serve as a crucial
chronobiological indicator of the aging process, gauging the body's
natural protection against cell damage associated with oxidative stress.
Diagnostics' Comprehensive Melatonin Profile is a convenient, non-invasive salivary hormone test that analyzes the circadian secretion patterns of melatonin. Using a complete light-dark cycle, this hormone test reveals abnormal levels of melatonin that relates to various physical and psychological symptoms as well as premature acceleration of the body´s aging process.
Melatonin Hormone Testing
Genova Diagnostics´ Comprehensive Melatonin Profile offers many distinct clinical advantages. This hormone test:
- Analyzes three saliva specimens taken at morning, noon, and midnight. This type of hormone testing allows for evaluation of melatonin activity of a complete light-dark cycle
- Measures salivary levels which correlate well with serum testing. This hormone test offers a safe, economical, and non-invasive way of assessing pineal function and melatonin secretion patterns
Once hormonal imbalances have been identified, results can be used to design and implement successful therapeutic programs, including timed application of bright light, removal of interfering factors, and melatonin administration.
Melatonin imbalances have been associated with a wide array of health problems, including:
- Sleep disorders
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Chronic progressive multiple sclerosis
- Menstrual irregularities
Melatonin´s synthesis and secretion can be strongly influenced by day length, artificial illumination, electromagnetic energy, exercise, seasonal changes, impairment in methionine metabolism, and aging. Since synthesis and secretion are easily disrupted, accurate assessment of levels and circadian rhythm is critical.
The Role of Melatonin
Melatonin is synthesized within the pineal gland from tryptophan during the dark phase of the day. With its unique ability to pass through all blood barriers in the body, melatonin acts as the central hub of physiological function. Melatonin´s role is to:
- Orchestrate the complex interactions between the mind, body, and environment
- Influence most of the autonomic, hormonal, and behavioral functions of the human organism
- Advance sleep time and duration
- Modulate annual and circadian biorhythms (thereby reducing symptoms of jet-lag)
- Regulate the body temperature
- Regulate cardiovascular function
- Regulate immune function, with a possible role in fighting cancer
- Act as an antioxidant
- Regulate female reproductive hormones
Profile $ 125.00
To order this test click ADD
All lab tests can be done through the mail in the privacy of your
own home, except blood tests, we send you to a lab to have your blood
drawn for these. After you pay for the test we mail you the kit, the
results take two weeks, the test results will be mailed to us and
we will call you to go over the results, its that easy! All tests
include the consultation for the report of findings. Click on test
of interest on the right for more information.
Call our office for details: 800-956-7083 OR 818-707-3126.